Provo-Petersen & Associates, P. A.
8649 Eagle Point Boulevard
Lake Elmo, MN 55042
Jack Hennen graduated from Syracuse University College of Law in 1983.
After graduating from law school, Jack began his legal career as the Program Director for City Lawyer Exchange Aid and Repository and as a Defense Attorney for the League of Minnesota Cities Insurance Trust. In 1985 Jack joined the Mardell Law Firm in Apple Valley where he represented clients in the areas of real estate, family law, juvenile and personal injury, as well as criminal prosecution for the city of Hugo, MN. In 1986 he returned to the League of Minnesota Cities (the “League”) as a Defense Attorney. In 1993 Jack became Defense Litigation Supervisor for the League where he was responsible for supervision and management of “in house” insurance defense functions including budget, strategic planning, case assignment and review and supervision of five litigation attorneys and support staff. He also provided pre-litigation legal support for liability evaluation of claim files and handled all “tender of defense/tender of claim” correspondence/negotiations. Jack was responsible for developing, updating and maintaining model litigation and release and settlement documents. Throughout his career at the League Jack has represented Minnesota cities throughout the state in personal injury and property damage lawsuits with “first chair” responsibility for trying cases in all State and Federal courts. The primary focus of his practice was in wrongful death, serious bodily injury, catastrophic property damage and multi-party complex litigation. For almost 30 years he provided risk management/loss control assistance, advice and training for the claims department and Minnesota cities and guided and assisted the intergovernmental relations staff in their lobbying activities.
Jack joined Provo-Petersen & Associates, P.A. as an Of Counsel Attorney in December 2015. Jack’s vast experience with insurance defense claims is an asset while working in areas of transportation, automobile insurance, government liability, and commercial insurance law including liability, coverage, uninsured and underinsured motorist, no-fault, catastrophic personal injury and property damage, wrongful death, and general casualty law. In keeping with the firm’s philosophy, Jack assists clients in containing current claims, while also serving as a resource in preventing and controlling future claims and losses.
Since 2007 Jack has been an Adjunct Professor of Law at William Mitchell College of Law as well as at St. Thomas University College of Law. In 2015 he was a guest lecturer at Hamline University College of Law on the topic of “Understanding Governmental Immunity. Jack is a frequent CLE presenter.
Current Employment Position(s)
Areas of Practice
- Personal Injury - Defense
- Automobile Liability
- Wrongful Death
- Commercial Litigation
- Insurance Coverage and Insurance Fraud
- Insurance Subrogation
- Construction Litigation
- Litigation & Appeals
- Government Liability
- Complex Medical Causation
- Minnesota, May 1984
- U.S. District Court District of Minnesota, July 1988
- 8th Circuit Court of Appeals, April 2002
- Wisconsin, July 2016
- Syracuse University College of Law, Juris Doctorate 1983
- University of Iowa, BA 1980
- “Curbing Domestic Violence- Policy Development for Cities”, 12 Current Municipal ProblemsNo 3. Winter 1986.
- Civility in the Legal Profession and Respect for an Independent Judiciary: We are our own worst enemy!, The Bencher, July/August 2006
- Numerous articles for League of Minnesota Cities Magazine
Classes/Seminars Taught (2005 –Present)
- Adjunct Professor, University of St. Thomas College of Law (August 2007-Present)
- Adjunct Professor, William Mitchell College of Law (August 2007-Present)
(i.e.) Appellate Advocacy
- Guest Lecturer, Hamline University College of Law (April 2015)
“Understanding Governmental Tort Immunities” (for Professor Larry Baaken’s Municipal law course)
CLE's Taught (2005 - Present)
- MDLA Trial Academy (January 8-10, 2015) “Voir Dire and Opening Statements”
- MDLA Intelligent “Paralegaling”; Mastering the Puzzles of Litigation (September 19, 2014), Course Chair and taught “The Paralegal’s Role at Trial: Adding Value- Getting Better Results”
- MDLA Trial Techniques Seminar (August 15, 2014) “Understanding Governmental Immunities and How they Impact other Parties Involved in the Case.”
- Inns of Court, (Douglas K . Amdahl Inn of Court- January 16, 2014) “Ethical, Effective Voir Dire and Jury Selection.”
- MNCLE “Motor Vehicle Accident Cases” (May 2012) “ Governmental Immunity in Motor Vehicle Accident Cases
- MDLA Trial Techniques Seminar, (August 2010) “Winning at Trial in Greater Minnesota”
- MDLA Mid Winter Conference, (February 2008) “Tendering Defense- Passing the Torch without Putting out the Fire or Getting Burned”
- Minnesota Association for Justice, (December 2009 and November 2007) “Official Act Immunity and Vicarious Official Act Immunity”
- MDLA Mid-Winter Conference, (February 2006) “How to Drive your Paralegal Nuts and Spend your Client’s Money without Really Trying”
- MDLA “Brown Bag” CLE Series, ( March 2005) “Understanding Governmental Immunity
- MDLA Government Law Committee CLE, (February 2005) “Governmental Immunity Update for Attorneys Representing Governmental Entities”
- Government Training Service (GTS) and MN City Attorney Association Conference (February 2005)
“Understanding Governmental Immunity”
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Minnesota Defense Lawyers Association
- Defense Research Institute
-Board of Directors (1998-2002), Presidents Award- 2003
-Currently serving on Law improvement, Government Liability and Diversity (Co- Chair) Committees
- American Inns of Court (Douglas K. Amdahl Inn)/li>
- 19th District Bar Association (Past President)
In addition Jack is also a frequent lecturer for other non-lawyer professional groups. Since 1987 he has been an annual presenter the League of Minnesota Cities Safety and Loss Control Seminars, and Adjuster Education seminars. He is also a frequent presenter for MNPCA, Minnesota Water and Wastewater Operation and Collection System Operator Seminars. Jack is also a MSBA Minnesota Mock Trial Competition Judge (2005-2013) and is currently a coach for the Woodbury H.S Mock Trial team (2014-present).